I was born December 2, 1895 in Bloomington, Idaho in a frame four roomed house located near the northeast corner of the Public Square. I was told that I was a very tiny baby when I was born. I weighed less than three pounds and could be put under a bowl. As a baby, I had a sad face and was not too strong physically. I seemed that I was born with a fear of the future and that stayed with me through life.

I remember that during the early period of Father*s and Mother*s married life they were very poor. It seemed that it was hard for them to get enough food for their family. We as children went bare-footed. Dad was an easygoing and happy-go-lucky fellow during the early days of marriage. Dad used to visit over the fence with Alfred A. Hart. This perennial visiting caused mother to become emotionally upset, as she was of the opinion that Dad should not be wasting his time and should be working to furnish his family with the physical necessities of life.2 Mother was an excellent house keeper who kept her house clean as a pin and she also kept her children clean.

I remember Dad as a handsome young man six feet tall, dark curly hair and dressed in fine clothes. I recall that Dad*s brothers Uncle Fred, William and Steve were handsome proud English-men who dressed well on Sundays or when they went courting. Their sisters, Aunt Margery, Lizzie and Lucy also were people of fine appearance who groomed and dressed themselves well. My mother and her sisters, Aunt Mary, Zada, Lizzie and Addie were fine girls. They were all deeply religious and their greatest desire was that their children would grow up to be good citizens. Our dear mother lived for her children and her greatest reward was to know that each one lived up to the standards of our Church, even before professional success. The first thing she taught us was to kneel down and pray each night before we went to sleep. We were encouraged to attend Primary, Sunday School and other Church services. Mother also taught us thrift and how to save while we lived in Bloomington.

I remember as a tot that my favorite activity was picking up stray cats on the Public Square and bringing them home only to be told that I could not keep them. I remember going to school In Bloomington during the first and second grades. While going to school I went with a group of young children on an apple stealing expedition. We were caught, given a good scolding, but we were allowed to keep the apples. This was my first lesson in honesty. While in Bloomington, I remember my Grandmother Bateman (Anna Wilks) who made me welcome. After dinner she taught me how to wipe the dishes while she washed them. I recall her neat little home, which at a later date was destroyed by fire.

My Grandfather Bateman (George) was a fine English Gentleman who along with Alfred A. Hart later occupied the responsible positions of Bishop of the Bloomington Ward, President of the Bear Lake Stake and the County Superintendent of Schools.

2 Mothers ancestors were of Pennsylvania Dutch ancestry - a hard working people. His wife and my Great-Grand Father Alfred3 were converts to the church and emigrated first to Evanston, Wyoming and later moved to Bloomington. My Grandfather was a blacksmith and also freighted between Bear Lake County and Ogden.4 On one occasion he was held up by bandits who relieved him of his entire load which consisted of dressed beef. While we lived in Bloomington, George M. (Monnie) was also born in the little frame house. It was the custom those days to let the children grow long braids. It was during this time that George had long brown braids in his hair that I cut them all off and put them in the trash can. My mother was very upset and I received a good switching. On one occasion we went to Sacrament Meeting in Bloomington, Dad was asked to open the meeting with prayer. I recall that poor Dad went upon the stand, his face turned white and he could not say a word so he sat down.3 I realize now that I inherited some of his fear.

While we lived in Bloomington father bought about a hundred acres of wild hay land East of Paris, Idaho in the low lands. During the year 1905 father purchased 16 acres of alfalfa land which was located about one mile south of Paris. We lived here for several years. We had fine facilities for ice skating. We would skate for miles and ride a sleigh down the mountain sides. I recall that the three of us, George M., LeRoy and myself, rode a white horse daily to the public schools in Paris. Our Mother*s parents Jacob and Hannah (Thornock) Hess live a short distance North on the Highway. My Grandfather Hess was a hard working farmer. He maintained an excellent dairy herd and efficiently operated a medium sized farm. Grandfather Hess was the oldest of 64 children. He was the son of John W. Hess, a member of the original Mormon Battalion, and a Prominent Utah Pioneer who, with his seven wives, was prosperous and helped build the thriving community of Farmington, Utah. John W. held church offices of Bishop and Stake President for many years.

While we lived on the farm, Milford and Acquilla Hess were our playmates. They were our uncles but were about the same age as George M. and myself. Our yellow dog, Toby, died on the farm when he was 12 years old. He was a faithful companion. I also remember that I had some beautiful white rabbits and raised ducks. My riding horse was named Kit. I also owned a mare by the name of Nell.

Being country boys, the city boys had a dislike for us and would run us out of town right after school was dismissed. We would run from them like deer. One boy, a tall Dutchman by the name of Earnest Jausu, was the leader of this mob. I later had the satisfaction in giving him a good whipping before a large crowd. I later defeated the town bully, Cyiel Sutton, in a bloody fight. After these fights I was able to pursue a more happy and peaceful life without being constantly attacked by town hoodlums. This did not occur until after we had lived in Paris for several years. Dad had made me a present

(From Dr. Harold C. Bateman) According to my records, the grandparents first arrived at Ogden, Utah where they were ,met by relatives (Jarvises) and then were taken to Bloomington, Idaho. Finding no work there, they were compelled to move to Almy, Uinta County Wyoming just a mile north of Evanston where they found work in the Union Pacific coal mines. Father was born in Almy.


(Note from Dr. Harold C. Bateman) Also Grandfather freighted between Evanston, Wyoming and Bear Lake. rather than Ogden.

My Grandfather Bateman was Counselor to Bishop Findley

of a pair of boxing gloves. I secretly trained for a couple of years which finally paid off. After we moved Into Paris, Dad purchased a home east of the highway across the street from Bishop Edward Sutton. The W. W. Richards family lived immediately to the North. Mr. Richards was first Coundlior to Joseph R. Shepherd, President of the Bear Lake Stake. Russ Richards, son of W. W. Richards, became a close and almost constant companion during the time I lived in Paris. ONeal Rich became a close companion to George M., Spencer Rich a companion to Roy and Reed Rich was Harold*s companion. George M and Harold became Doctors of Philosophy and the three Rich brothers became M. D.*s. Roy chose Railroading as his vocation.6


After a year or two Dad purchased a home with acreage up on Canyon Road. The Paris Creek meandered through a luxuriant meadow grass pasture. Another branch of the stream also flowed through the corral to supply the livestock with all the water they could drink. There was a large barn on the place. By the this time Father had acuminated several fine draft and buggy horses. He would stay out in the barn for hours caring for those horses, feeding them hay and grain and grooming and currying them. He also kept his harnesses oiled and cleaned up. Tassels and rosettes were part of the harnesses. He loved to drive fractions teams in a white topped buggy or a black topped surrey. Many a time we went in this fashion to the Bear Lake to have a picnic and to spend the day swimming and boating.

On canyon road we lived in the old house for a while but Dad built a new house. The big front window and the door to the Parlor were made of plate glass. Mother was very proud of the house. We lived in the kitchen and on Sundays a fire was made in the Parlor. Mother had the Idea that she wanted me to be a pianist, so they bought a nice piano. I drove Tillie Price to St. Charles in our little surrey which was pulled by a white horse. This was the way that I paid for my lessons. I never did develop into a finished pianist.

Harold was born into the family at the ONeil home. He was a distinguished looking young man. He was more like a prince, so I called him Prince Austie Bamclaim of the Austrian Throne. My favorite little baby brother was Russell. He always sat near the front window and came running and put his arms around my neck. His sudden death brought deep sorrow to us all. Our own son Russell was like my little bother Russell in being affectionate.

Dad had become a successful horseman. He sold a number of stallions in Bear Lake County and In Star Valley. He was in partnership with Gideon Alvord of Logan, Utah. The offspring of these fine horses were sold by Dad and H.P.Zlmmermann in

Riverside, California for work in the orange groves. He also bought horses for the United States Cavalry. He was making a better living than the average. After gasoline automobiles became available he was one of the first to purchase a Ford car. While going to elementary and high school at Fielding Academy, I milked ten cows night and morning. George M. fed and cared for about as many horses. We hauled Yellow pine wood from the mountains and sawed and split it up for fire wood during the winter. During the summer we worked on our farm. We had Saturday afternoon off so we would go to the old swimming hole for a plunge. After the swim we would fish for trout and fresh water chubs. I spent one summer working for Sim Rich. I also spent a 6 I remember the affection Dad had for his sons. After he began to make money in the fall of the year, he would buy all of us a fine suit. I remember his desire to wear fine Stetson hats.

summer working for Uncle Joseph Lindford in Afton, Wyoming. The schedule for the day was to start milking, by hand, thirty cows at 4:30 AM. By 6:30 or 7 AM. we began to work in the field for the hay harvest and the field work was completed by sundown and the evenings milking was usually completed by 11 P.M. I offered my services for $1.00 a day and board and room. When I left, Uncle Joe, gave me $1.25 and board. A dollar was worth a lot In those days.


Lucille and Thelma, two pretty sisters, came along. I used to tease Lucille. I posed as Uncle Alexander. We had fun. Our youthful days were the best. Othel and Rayo came after I left home. In High School I took part in the Operetta and Oratorical contests. During two summers Immediately preceding World War I worked on the Hydraulic Dredge one the North end of Bear Lake. My title was "flunky" assisting the cook. I also worked as a rigger to move heavy pieces of machinery. George M. was working as an assistant electrician. It was during this period that I accompanied Lyman Rich to Salt Lake City and joined the 145th FA Utah National Guard on August 2, 1917. We camped for a month on the same ground where the National guard armory7 now is located. Here we received preliminary training. We were transported by train to Camp Kerney near San Diego, California, for basic training. In Camp Kerney we usually had the week ends off. I would usually go into San Diego and attended a dance on Saturday night and attend Sunday Service. Abraham Tueller who was stationed with the 21st Infantry was the Branch chorister. I enjoyed my trips to LaJolia, California where I was adopted into the Seymour family as "almost a son". The family consisted of Grayce Seymore, her Mother and her brother and a sister. I was invited to stay at the house. They arranged picnics to Torrey Pines and on the beach at the cove where we also went swimming. I was a member for the 145th Field Artillery Band. We gave concerts in San Diego and on the base. The 145th was part of the 65th Brigade, 40th Sunshine Division. Brigadier General Richard R. Young was commanding General of the 65th Field Artillery and Colonel William C. Webb was our Regimental commander. Lieutenant Clarence J. Hawkins was our Band Director. One of the most memorable occasions was an invitation to the home of Madame Schuman Heink which was located at Coronodo. Mrs Schuman Heink, who was a world renowned singer, was a friend of Clarence Hawkins. He had taken music lessons from her at the Boston Conservatory School of Music. She had four sons in the German Army and four sons in the U.S. Army.

During August of 1918 we left Camp Kearney for New York by train. On our way we stopped in Tucson, Arizona and took a swim. I remember the shacks that the negroes lived In on our way East. We were first stationed at Camp Upton, New York on Long Island. After staying at Camp Upton for about two weeks we embarked on a War ship sailing out of Hoboken, New York bound for England. On the voyage overseas we sang many songs such as "Good Bye Broadway Hello France", "Pretty Katie", "Keep Your Shades Down Mary Ann". We finally arrived at Liverpool. England. After descending on land, the 145th Field Artillery Band played the Stars and Strips Forever. This gave us a thrill. After staying at Knotty Ash Barracks in Liverpool we crossed the Channel to LaHarve, France. From their we traveled South and were quartered in a little town near Bordeaux, France.

Women washed their clothes in the streams. They pressed grapes with their feet to make wine. Later we were assigned to Camp De Sue, a flu infected camp, located 20 miles from Bordeaux. This was a training camp for regiments who used the French 75 artillery piece. Due to infestation of flees we lived




Armory Is located at about 8th East and I 5th South in Salt Lake City.

out in pup tents. During the winter many soldiers died from the flu. After the Armistice was signed we sailed for New York City arriving in January. On January 28, 1919 we were mustered out of the Army.

I went home for a short time and then went to Salt Lake City and got a job cleaning coaches for the Union Pacific Railroad. My brother LeRoy joined me and we rented a room together and worked together. We had a room just North of the Temple. In the fall I quite and attended Utah State Agricultural College at Logan, Utah. During the summer time I inspected fields of sugar beets for nematode. After graduating with a Bachelor Degree in Agriculture I continued my employment with the P~malgamated Sugar Company and finished a Masters Degree with a theses entitled "Field Studies of the sugar beet Nematode".

It was while I was in a field looking for Sugar Beet Nematodes that I met my future wife, Idella Van Orden. On March 14, 1923 I was married to Idella in the Logan Temple. I purchased a home in Logan near the Fair Grounds on 3rd West. My wife was a great help with the calculations for my research for my Masters Degree. She also was an excellent housekeeper and cook. She was thrifty and did a fine job of canning meat, fruit and vegetables. I had worked for the Sugar Beet Company for two summers and two full years. I graduated from Utah State College with a Master of Arts degree. During May of 1924 I was offered the position of Vocational Agriculture Instructor at Midway High School, Lewisville, Idaho. I purchased a new Model T Ford car for $645.00 and drove the car to my new job during the last part of June. Idella remained in Logan for a while until our first child, Alfred Van Orden Bateman was born on August 11, 1924 in the Cache Valley Hospital.8 After Idella and my son, whom we called Orden, joined me we lived in the L. A. Thomas home and later in the William Walker home. While in the Lewisville Ward I taught in the Sunday School and Mutual. Our next child who was Helen Grayce9 who was born in the Cache Valley Hospital, Logan, Utah April 3, 1926. H. K. Merrill was the Doctor in charge.

We moved to Ashton, Idaho where I taught school from July 1, 1926 to July 1, 1929. While in Ashton I was ordained a Seventy on September 2, 1927 and also set apart as one of the Seven Presidents. I was also the Stake Superintendent of Religion Classes of the Yellowstone Stake, with Idella as secretary, and I was also the Second Councilor in the Ashton Ward Bishopric. I was ordained a High Priest January 13, 1929. Believe it or not. I was also a Scoutmaster.

While in Ashton, many exhibits of Ashton produce such as potatoes, grains etc. were prepared, under my direction, for competition. Ashton was awarded 1st place and many ribbons for four years at the Idaho Spud Show held annual at Shelly Idaho. One year the highschool was awarded 15 cups in competition. Much credit was due to my wife Idella who helped me and backed me 100 percent in these activities. I also conducted evening classes in Seed Potato production. During Christmas of 1927 the Ashton Seed Growers presented me with a 21 jeweled Hamilton Gold Watch. The Agriculture students also presented me with a nice desk set.


From July 1, 1929 to July 1, 1938 we lived in Idaho Falls where I taught as Instructor of Vocational Agriculture. Our final child, Russell Rulon Bateman, was born on February 11, 1930 in the Idaho Falls Hospital.10 Our three children, while they were growing up, never gave us any worry. They were



8 Heber K. Merrill MD was the Doctor who delivered our first child


9The spelling of Grayce was after Grayce Seymore of LaJolIa, Ca.

10 H. Ray Hatch M.D. was the doctor In charge.

Return to last page